THEY ARE GROSS!
Yes, yes, I know the title of this blog post refers to heartworms, and believe me they areeee gross! But, what I'm really talking about is mosquitoes!
We all know how awful mosquitoes are… I mean, seriously—it’s early spring and I’ve gotten at least 12 bites today. But unfortunately, there is so much more to worry about than just the itchiness that plagues us as the weather warms up. Did you know that
heartworms are spread by mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes spread the disease by biting and taking a blood meal from an infected pet and then transferring the disease by feasting on its next victim. Unlike many other diseases, heartworms are not contagious from pet to pet. It can take 6+ months for baby heartworms to mature into adults. When the heartworms have matured, they begin to wreak havoc on the dogs body. Female heartworms can span the length of 10+ inches! Dogs who are infected can exhibit symptoms such as abdominal swelling, coughing, anorexia and exercise intolerance. If untreated, heartworm disease is fatal. Fortunately, if caught in time, there is treatment for the disease, although it can be both tough on the dog and on your wallet.
We live in an area where mosquitoes are always present. Let us help keep your pupper safe by following the Veterinarian recommended regimen of testing for heartworm disease annually and maintaining year-round heartworm prevention. From now until the end of April, receive $5 off heartworm testing and a discount on your pup’s heartworm prevention. Call the office for more information!
During this time of year where temperatures can linger in the 90's for the better part of the month, it's important to know what to look for in a dog who might be suffering from Hyperthermia, or a heat stroke.
What puts a dog at an increased risk for heat stroke:
Some easily spotted signs that your dog may be overheated:
For many, Thanksgiving signals many wonderful things… Time spent with family, football & best of all, FOOD! ...and while this is the season of wonderful things, in the Veterinary world, this is also the season of an often deadly illness called Canine Pancreatitis. This time of year, we see a dramatic upsurge in patients with GI issues, which often turn out to be Pancreatitis.
Canine Pancreatitis is a painful and sometimes deadly condition that is caused from your pet over-eating fatty foods. Symptoms of pancreatitis are often vomiting, diarrhea, painful abdomen and overall feeling poorly or refusing food. If your pet has been exhibiting any of these symptoms, please call the office, as it is important that treatment begin as soon as possible.
We know how difficult it can be to not give in to that cute little furry face at the end of the table, especially on Thanksgiving… but for your pet’s sake, please avoid feeding your pet fatty foods from the table.
And, from our family to yours, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are grateful and give thanks for our friendship with each and every one of you.
Over 5,000 cases of Rabies were reported to the CDC in 2015, and although that number is fairly high, the prevalence continues to decrease. This is majorly due to Rabies vaccination laws for domesticated animals.
The most common carriers of Rabies are raccoons, bats, skunks, and foxes; all mammals are susceptible to rabies virus which is spread through saliva. Once symptoms have developed, the disease is always fatal. Some symptoms of rabies are anxiety, "raging" or irrational behavior, and muscle paralysis. The local government in each state manage the administration of rabies vaccines and they're required by law.
During the month of November Village Veterinary Service will be offering rabies vaccines at $10.00 with a physical exam for $5.00 (a $12 savings).
Call today to schedule your appointment!